Tuesday 6 August 2013

Office Party - Christmas in July?

I'm a little late on this post, but better late than never. Two Saturdays back on July 27th we had our mid-winter Christmas party. Funny name for a party held in July, but it's winter here so I guess the Kiwi's think it fits. The theme for the party this year was Americana. 

I was averse to trying to rent a costume so I spent a while thinking of how I could possibly dress up to look "American". I asked the tax group if I could just come in my every day clothes since I actually am an American but I was emphatically turned down.

So as I went through the masses of clothing I brought with me, I found a Yankees jersey that I "borrowed" from Austin for a baseball dress up day in the SLC office. I have been wondering why on earth I thought I needed to bring it with me all the way to New Zealand, but I think I have figured it out. If I have the jersey in New Zealand, I can't actually return it to Austin and it will have to remain in my possession indefinitely. Sorry bro! (Although I'm quite sure it's a kids jersey and you are much to tall for it now). In addition to the jersey, Brian left his Yankees hat here and I had the makings of an outfit. 

The party was pretty fun. We had a nice dinner and a hired band afterwards. It can be pretty funny to watch drunk accountants trying to dance. I was really surprised at how festive the costumes were and I actually felt like I didn't put enough effort into it. There were some Miss Americas, a statue of liberty, Uncle Sam, Evel Knievel, Great Gatsby flappers, full on military outfits. And the one fully suited up football player was none other than Payton Manning as a (drumroll) Denver Bronco!!! Everyone looked at me pretty weird when I yelled "Go Broncos" as he walked in the door haha.

All in all it was a pretty fun evening and a great way to distract me from the first Saturday night with Brian being back in Salt Lake. I miss you sweetie! I'll see about grabbing some pics from work and posting them here.

I'm still not sure how an Americana themed party in July is related to Christmas...maybe I'll figure it out next year.

I loved the Gatsby girls


Pretty good representation here - a cowboy, Lance Armstrong, Native American and Evel Knievel

The two tax partners (my bosses!) dressed up as Col. Hogan (Hogan's Heroes) and  NY Knicks player
There's me in my Yankees gear...

Yes, that's a Peyton Manning jersey - go Broncos!

The jacket on the girl in the middle actual said Pink Ladies. Awesome!


Some people go all out - Uncle Sam, a hot dog and the Statue of Liberty


No comments:

Post a Comment